1 28 oz can of San Marzano tomatoes
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced, plus 1 for bread
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chiffonade
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
8 slices of baguette
2 tablespoons of butter
Olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a large pot heat the butter. Sweat the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes, then add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the celery and carrot and toss to coat with the butter.
- Add the tomatoes and crush with a spoon. Add the broth, bay leaf, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and Italian seasoning. Bring the mixture to a simmer for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and leave the soup to cool slightly in the pot.
- Drizzle the baguettes with oil. Toast the bread until slightly golden. Rub the garlic clove on the toasted bread.
- When the soup has cooled slightly, puree the soup in batches in a blender or using an emersion blender. Reheat the soup, add the parsley and basil and adjust the seasoning.
- Preheat the broiler. Ladle the soup into 4 bowls that are safe for use in the oven. Place the toasts on top. Scoop 1/2 cup shredded cheese on top of the bread. Place the soup bowls under the broiler carefully for 30 seconds until the cheese has melted and turn golden. Serve hot!
Feel free to add any of your pizza toppings like pepperoni, mushrooms, anchovies, olives, or different types of cheese!
Check out more of these delicious recipes at www.thegarlicpad.com