Guinness Steak & Mushroom Pie – Fionn MacCool’s
Butter, frozen (454 g)
Flour (400 g)
Salt (5 g)
Water, ice cold (150 mL)
- Grate frozen butter into a bowl using a box grater
- Add flour and salt to the bowl and combine using your hands or two forks. Dough will be ready when the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Add cold water and mix together only until dough comes together and can hold its shape in a ball.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and roll out onto sheets about 1 cm thick and assemble pie.
Olive Oil (30 mL)
Diced Beef (1.3 kg)
Salt & Pepper (10 g)
Onions, diced 1* (227 g)
Tomato Paste (125 mL)
GUINNESS® Draught Stout (250 mL)
Brown Sugar (30 mL)
Dijon Mustard (15 mL)
Red wine vinegar (30 mL)
Cloves, crushed (2.5 mL)
Beef Gravy (1 L – preferably homemade or you may use store-bought)
Button Mushrooms (454 g)
Cornstarch (45 mL)
Water (250 mL)
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
2. Remove beef from packaging and pat dry. Season beef with salt and pepper, and sear on all sides in the pot. Don’t be afraid
to really get some colour on the beef.
3. Add diced onions and tomato paste and stir into the seared beef. Sauté for about
4. Add Guinness® Draught Stout to pot and stir well, being sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to remove the bits stuck to the bottom.
5. Add brown sugar, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, cloves, and beef gravy. Stir well.
6. Add mushrooms to the pot and reduce heat to medium. Simmer until beef is fork tender (approximately 1.5 hours).
7. Combine the cornstarch and water to make the slurry. Whisk in slurry in small amounts and allow it to cook out for about 2 minutes. Taste and adjust thickness as you see fit, adding more slurry if needed.
8. Enjoy this item in the pie crust on a bed of spinach and boiled potatoes, or simply enjoy on its own in a great big bowl with some crusty bread.